Quick Note: I had originally planned a different post as a comeback to the medium, but kept getting busy and ended up pushing it further back on the burner. I wanted to do a "on the spot" kind of post anyways, but not this soon... Please enjoy my out of the blue banter about stuff and life.

I admit to being a child of the later half of the 90s era, back when audio tapes and CDs lived side by side and VHS tapes were the main format for home video. Granted, I saw the rise of early home DVD releases as well. This was before I learned about the bygone and forgotten formats of Betamax and Laserdisks - which the latter beats out the DVD as being the first home movie releases on a disk. I thank Oddity Archive for my introduction to those forgotten formats as well as the fond memories of early age television. But hey, am I talking about mediums of movies or am I talking about sheer reflection? It's the latter for sure, kind of a rhetorical question.
Being old enough to remember the passing of one format's torch to another is a bit mindboggling as it was in that in-between era of a lot of things: the rise of the internet's first iteration (web 1.0), the start of a new millennium, the EBS becoming the EAS... Last one might of been tossed in as a small joke that niche crowd would chuckle at, some might not. The evolution of movies no longer being on physical medium but instead streamed online is a bit of a mixed ordeal, and the lack of previews that were memorable are far gone in the older years. Yep, it's going to be an old grandparent styled "back in my day" post.
Don't worry: the reading part is optional if you're not fond of that stuff...
Anyhoo, I think most of this is just my mindset conjuring thoughts as I recently began to add videos of openings and closings to VHS tapes from the 80's and 90s - with some early 2000s films in the mix - into a playlist for white noise background for sleeping. My guess as to why this is just because of how nostalgic is feels to hear previews of films I wish to see, some I could just as easily access through streaming services. Some however aren't available anywhere. One such case: The End with Burt Reynolds directing it and starring role. Couldn't find it on streaming for the life of me but it was enough to convince me to return back to VHS. If it wasn't the huge collection of VHS tapes driving me back home, then that film sure did the job.
I still remember watching which Disney movies on VHS to the point where I remember the previews and clips shown before the start of the movie itself. First time seeing the musical with Pinocchio's "father" played by Drew Carry himself. Goofy as all heck guy but I still find it a bit charming regardless. So much I think there's a taped recording of the film when it aired on our local ABC station with the commercials mostly left in - and some were local. There had been one for an obscure set of direct to video musical programs under the series of Parachute Express - and unfortunately it was the same tape that was a VCR's recent catch of the week.
Aside from the late at night/early morning airings on Disney Channel transitioning into Playhouse Disney, VHS and a small handful of DVDs were the only way I was able to watch some of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh like the playful child I was. I think that era despite being long gone is something I want to return to lately. Not because of the movies themselves - although that does help - but because of the fact that Fridays felt worthy of working towards at the end of the week. Movie rentals were still a thing and I recall us having a Blockbuster here in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately though, we couldn't afford a membership or had no interest in that and instead went to a local rental chain called Crown Video. Was that local or did they have franchises over the states? Regardless, the logo was super memorable and I refused to take the said sticker off of one of the few Winnie the Pooh VHS tapes that was bought from them as they were selling their inventory.
I admit there were a lot of controversies and such when it came to the movie industry back then such as movie bootlegs, places not taking kindly to the idea of movie rentals, and goodness knows what else I might of been too late to the party for. There are times I'm thankful for the current day and age of the internet but then the sore spots stick out and I dread the future a bit. Looks like it's time for that old grandpa in me to pop out.
It just seems like nowadays kids tend to get away with a lot of things but they also don't get the same exposure of what teaches them to be human. I do understand that parents are busy making sure that food is on the table and everyone is safe and secure at home, but with all that goes on out there it becomes a headache. Even worse, the same programs most of us loved and grew up watching are no longer broadcasted because they were de-funded. I might of failed to understand the whole drive for taking off such things, but when did becoming kind and considerate of other people fall under being "woke"? If being kind is considered weak, then I don't want to know what's considered strong...

I admit to being a child of the later half of the 90s era, back when audio tapes and CDs lived side by side and VHS tapes were the main format for home video. Granted, I saw the rise of early home DVD releases as well. This was before I learned about the bygone and forgotten formats of Betamax and Laserdisks - which the latter beats out the DVD as being the first home movie releases on a disk. I thank Oddity Archive for my introduction to those forgotten formats as well as the fond memories of early age television. But hey, am I talking about mediums of movies or am I talking about sheer reflection? It's the latter for sure, kind of a rhetorical question.
Being old enough to remember the passing of one format's torch to another is a bit mindboggling as it was in that in-between era of a lot of things: the rise of the internet's first iteration (web 1.0), the start of a new millennium, the EBS becoming the EAS... Last one might of been tossed in as a small joke that niche crowd would chuckle at, some might not. The evolution of movies no longer being on physical medium but instead streamed online is a bit of a mixed ordeal, and the lack of previews that were memorable are far gone in the older years. Yep, it's going to be an old grandparent styled "back in my day" post.
Don't worry: the reading part is optional if you're not fond of that stuff...
Anyhoo, I think most of this is just my mindset conjuring thoughts as I recently began to add videos of openings and closings to VHS tapes from the 80's and 90s - with some early 2000s films in the mix - into a playlist for white noise background for sleeping. My guess as to why this is just because of how nostalgic is feels to hear previews of films I wish to see, some I could just as easily access through streaming services. Some however aren't available anywhere. One such case: The End with Burt Reynolds directing it and starring role. Couldn't find it on streaming for the life of me but it was enough to convince me to return back to VHS. If it wasn't the huge collection of VHS tapes driving me back home, then that film sure did the job.
I still remember watching which Disney movies on VHS to the point where I remember the previews and clips shown before the start of the movie itself. First time seeing the musical with Pinocchio's "father" played by Drew Carry himself. Goofy as all heck guy but I still find it a bit charming regardless. So much I think there's a taped recording of the film when it aired on our local ABC station with the commercials mostly left in - and some were local. There had been one for an obscure set of direct to video musical programs under the series of Parachute Express - and unfortunately it was the same tape that was a VCR's recent catch of the week.
Aside from the late at night/early morning airings on Disney Channel transitioning into Playhouse Disney, VHS and a small handful of DVDs were the only way I was able to watch some of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh like the playful child I was. I think that era despite being long gone is something I want to return to lately. Not because of the movies themselves - although that does help - but because of the fact that Fridays felt worthy of working towards at the end of the week. Movie rentals were still a thing and I recall us having a Blockbuster here in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately though, we couldn't afford a membership or had no interest in that and instead went to a local rental chain called Crown Video. Was that local or did they have franchises over the states? Regardless, the logo was super memorable and I refused to take the said sticker off of one of the few Winnie the Pooh VHS tapes that was bought from them as they were selling their inventory.
I admit there were a lot of controversies and such when it came to the movie industry back then such as movie bootlegs, places not taking kindly to the idea of movie rentals, and goodness knows what else I might of been too late to the party for. There are times I'm thankful for the current day and age of the internet but then the sore spots stick out and I dread the future a bit. Looks like it's time for that old grandpa in me to pop out.
It just seems like nowadays kids tend to get away with a lot of things but they also don't get the same exposure of what teaches them to be human. I do understand that parents are busy making sure that food is on the table and everyone is safe and secure at home, but with all that goes on out there it becomes a headache. Even worse, the same programs most of us loved and grew up watching are no longer broadcasted because they were de-funded. I might of failed to understand the whole drive for taking off such things, but when did becoming kind and considerate of other people fall under being "woke"? If being kind is considered weak, then I don't want to know what's considered strong...